Is it that time for a new transmission in Silver, Spring, MD for your vehicle?
Though your vehicle’s transmission may be performing well at the moment, there will come a time when it fails completely. For the sake of your safety, you should learn how to identify serious transmission problems so you know when to take your vehicle to a transmission repair shop. Superior Transmissions provides excellent transmission repair services, and we can also perform total transmission replacement if your transmission is beyond repair.
Signs It’s Time for a New Transmission in Silver Spring, MD
Even the most conscientious driver cannot avoid the inevitable transmission failure. As your transmission advances in age, be sure to watch out for the following signs for when you need a new transmission in Silver Spring, MD.
- Expensive Repair Bill: Just because it’s possible to repair an old transmission doesn’t mean you should. If your transmission repair bill costs more than half the cost of replacement, you’re best off getting it replaced.
- Rebuilt Transmission: Essentially a remanufactured–used transmission in one that has been patched and resold. It is imporntant to consult with trained experienced professional mechanics like Surperior Transmission’s, to determine if proceeding with a rebuild product is a wise decision.
- Frequent Overheating: Old transmissions tend to burn hotter than younger transmissions. If your transmission fluid is low, it could be because your transmission is running hot and burning the fluid away.
- Brownish Fluid: Transmission fluid should be bright red. If your fluid has a brownish hue to it despite being changed recently, there’s likely a serious problem with your transmission.
How to Extend Your Transmission’s Lifespan
How long a transmission lasts depends on a number of factors, including how it was manufactured and the climate. Though you have no control over these particular factors, there’s plenty you can do to extend the life of your transmission before you get a new transmission in Silver Spring, MD.
- Shift Smoothly: Accelerating too quickly or trying to shift at inopportune times can put undue pressure on your transmission. To extend your transmission’s life, accelerate gradually and avoid downshifting when getting off the freeway.
- Let Your Vehicle Warm Up: DC metro area winters can get very cold. Unfortunately, cold weather can take a toll on your transmission. Whenever possible, let your vehicle idle and warm up before putting it into gear.
- Perform Regular Maintenance: Regular maintenance is key to extending the life of your transmission. Consider taking your vehicle to a transmission expert once every 15,000 miles or so. A technician will flush your transmission fluid and perform a number of other necessary maintenance tasks.
No matter what kind of problem your transmission is experiencing, your best course of action is to take your vehicle to a skilled transmission technician. Superior Transmissions of the the Washington DC metro area offers top-quality transmission repair and replacement services. Call our shop at (301) 960-2254 to set up an appointment so we can evaluate if you need a new transmission in Silver Spring, MD.